7 days and 6 nights
Difficulty: 1 of 5
Our Manu Nature and Wildlife Escape 7 days is focused to spend days at the Manu Protected Zone having much more time to explore this untouched rainforest with great chances to spot the most emblematic and top predators such as Jaguar , Caimans , Giant River otter. This trip will give you a great introduction to the beauty of the rainforest and the guided tours will provide you with invaluable information about the tremendous biodiversity in Manu National Park, actually we are using Cusco city for the gateway of our expeditions that covers different elevations and ecosystem from the Andes to the Amazon rainforest.
WHERE : Manu National Park
ELEVATION RANGE : from 12,467.19 ft to 920 ft
IDEAL FOR VIEWING: : Andean Cock of Rock, Monkeys up 6 species, Capibara, Macaws , Hoatzin, Spiders,Black Caymans, Giant River Otters , Jaguar
EXCELLENT FOR: Wildlife Observation, Nature Walks , Oxbow lake exploration on local rafts, Motor Boat, Night walks, caves.
Day 1 Cusco – Guadalupe Nature Reserve
Leaving Cusco the van ride will passing through numerous dry inner-montane valleys during the trip along the small road you can enjoy the native villages and locals going about their lives in their colorful attires, we travel at leisure making several stops including many photos opportunities exploring the high-elevation birds, continuing on we visit the village of Paucartambo with its beautiful arched colonial bridge from Paucartambo we climbed yet again and gradually became enveloped in a cloudy mist soon we arrived at Acjanaco pass and gateway to Manu National Park. Once across Acjanaco Pass (3550 m / 11.647 ft) the environment changed dramatically passing from dry valleys to wet and also the view looking down toward the lowlands is stunning. The lush and misty cloud forest surrounded by massive rocks and waterfalls is perhaps the most fragile and threatened type of rainforest, which is the kingdom of lichens , moss our main target will of course the Peruvian National Bird the brightly red, Andean Cock of the Rock displays daily for female, as we descend we will head down to 1,500 m. in elevation to the lodge which has a wonderful garden for hummingbird observation. Overnight Guadalupe Ecological Reserve.
DAY 2: Guadalupe Ecological Reserve - El Dorado Lodge
Departing the lodge we will have chances for some birding along the famous manu road and passing some more open areas and see numerous second-growth specialist, once we get Atalaya which is the first navigable Port, we will say good by to our bus and meet our boatman, we board our motorized and roofed (to provide shelter from the sudden tropical downpour and suns bath) The upper Madre de Dios starts off rocky and fast, with Herons often seen foraging on the rocky gravel bars, and we’ll keep a close watch for raptors. As we are continuing our downriver boat journey, we will stop briefly at the Shintuya hot springs for a refreshing bath then we will be occupied by traveling by boat down the Madre de Dios to the next 4 hours, we might see some local boats and an native people settlements or lodge along the edge of the river, We will arrive in the afternoon in time to get settled before dark, and likely with enough time to walk around the lodge or on one of the many trails that radiate out from the lodge clearing. Overnight El dorado Lodge.
DAY 3: El Dorado Lodge - Casa Matsiguenka
Leaving the lodge early in the morning, we will get the confluence with the Manu river we enter the wild Manu National Park a brief stop at Limonal Park Ranger Station for check in, this boat trip is more exciting and full of sightings experiences, every river bend will bring us a view of unspoiled beauty As we travel up river we’ll search diligently for any signs of Jaguar, still only a slim chance but this river is perhaps the best location to find this magnificent mammal, Just a few curves up the river the environment will change. Suddenly, there will be orders of magnitude more to look at, from hundred if not thousands of swallows and butterflies, every single sandbar being occupied by something interesting, from lapwings, plovers, horned screamers, orinoco geese, we will keep a close watch for wildcats. In the mid afternoon, we arrive at our rustic lodge which it´s set aside a short distance from the Rio Manu in the heart of Manu National Park and for our following nights at this peaceful place. Overnight, Casa Matsiguenka Lodge.
DAY 4 Casa Matsiguenka - Salvadore Oxbow Lake
We will have the better part of two days to enjoy the Manu´s Wilderness, in the morning, we will explore the Salvador oxbow lake famous for its population of Giant Otters who usually breeds there , they can be seen at different times of the day, these gregarious and playful carnivorous spend good deal of their time fishing or playing by any side of the lake or just taking a sunbath on their favorite dead logs. We’ll have access to a floating catamaran (two large canoes connected by wooden planks) with chairs set up for bird and wildlife viewing (which makes paddling around the lake easy and comfortable. Apart from looking for the giant river otters, we’ll have the chance for many of the lake edge species, including the fabulous Hoatzin, Agami and herons, interesting raptors, colorful macaws oropendolas and caciques. Just floating around the lake will be one of the joys of the trip, In the forest around the lake we’ll also search for more species of monkeys such as white fronted capuchin, pygmy marmoset. Apart from the lake, the forest around Salvador Lake and the lodge is some of the best Amazonian rainforest we have seen, and a nice network of trails allows us to leisurely stroll on flat trails the rest of the day. Overnight: Casa Matsiguenka lodge. (Please notice that the time to visit the Salvador lagoon on this day its subject of availability)
5 Casa Matsiguenka - EL Dorado Lodge
This morning we’ll board our boat and begin the journey down the Rio Manu back to the Rio Madre de Dios. We’ll also have access and briefly to see untouched rainforest. Returning to boat trip will be again very exciting with lots of bird activity on the many sandbars as well as side necked turtles sunning on the logs. This will be again another opportunity for catching a glimpse of the magnificent Jaguar. After about four hours we will reach Boca Manu for brief stop and to refuel our boat and exploring the lower portion of the Madre de Dios, we get settled for lunch time and likely with enough time to walk around, Overnight at El Dorado Lodge.
DAY 6 : El Dorado Lodge – Guadalupe Nature Reserve
We will boat up the fast flowing braided and clear water upper Madre de Dios in the morning as we start our five hours back journey to Atalaya this is the last chance to spot the capybara, the world’s largest rodent. We’ll keep a close watch for raptors, as we have seen numerous Kites, as well as fun birds such as Vultures, eagles. We’ll sadly depart Manu´s area for our trip further up the upper Madre de Dios River and our re-introduction into civilization; after one hour of overland transportation we reach the Guadalupe Ecological Reserve and having time for some night walk around the area.
DAY 7: Guadalupe Nature Reserve - Cusco
This morning we will take an early ride to the cloud forest. We’ll make some stops en route looking for colorful birds such as; cock of the rock, quetzals, jays, mountain toucans and the elevation here is perfect for high number of foothill species going up the cloud forest we can enjoy the breathtaking views of the exuberant forest. We will arrive Cusco in the afternoon.
*The program may have small variations due weather or other factors.
* Naturalist Guide with telescope
* Private Tour Transport (van & Boat)
* Entrances fees to Manu National Park
* 3 meals a day.
* 6 nights on selected lodges
* Mineral water + Snacks
* Rubber boots + Duffel bags
* Alcoholic drinks
* Day 1 Breakfast / Day 7 Dinner
* Packing list
* Here is a list of items that are helpful for your journey to Manu National Park
* Insect repellent
* Personal hygiene products
* Camera, film, and extra batteries
* Flashlight and extra batteries
* Battery operated alarm clock
* Socks (bring extra)
* Undergarments (bring extra)
* At least 1 pair nylon shorts
* Walking or sport shorts
* Lightweight pants (for mosquito protection)
* Lightweight long-sleeved shirts
* 1 windbreaker or rain jacket
* Comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots
* Sport sandals or water shoes (for walking inside the lodge)
Day 1 Cusco - Guadalupe Nature Reserve
* Enjoyable van ride that begins at 5:00 AM along the Andes, with a stunning views of the mountain peaks and remote villages
* Visit of the pre-Inca cemetery ruins at Ninamarca
* Guided tour in the charming colonial village of Paucartambo
* Descent to the cloud forest and walk along the cloud forest to spot the amazing cock-of-the-rock and other colourful birds.
* Arrival to the lodge around the mid afternoon.
* Interpretation of the local medicinal plants such coca leaf, tropical fruits along in our private reserve.
* Walks along the palm forest to observe the blue and yellow macaws and the brown capuchin monkeys
* Dinner at the Guadalupe Lodge
** Optional night walk to look for amphibians and reptiles at our reserve
Day 2: Guadalupe Nature Reserve - El Dorado Lodge
* Breakfast and early departure
* van ride to Atalaya port where we will board our motorized and roofed (to provide shelter from the sudden tropical downpour and suns bath)
* Motorized canoe to navigate the exciting Alto Madre de Dios observation of some wildlife along the river bank, capibaras , macaws and raptors (6 hours aprox of boat journey
* Arrival to the lodge el dorado
* A Moderate walking in the afternoon provides a good opportunity to experience the flora and fauna in the remoteness of the Park while observing some animals or at least tracks of peccaries , tapirs etc
Day 3: El Dorado Lodge - Casa Matsiguenka
* Leaving the lodge early in the morning, we will get the confluence with the Manu river
* Brief stop along the small parakeets clay lick , these birds can be seen from the comodity of the boat while floating
* We enter the wild Manu National Park a brief stop at Limonal Park Ranger Station stop for registration at the Limonal ranger station.
* Exciting and full of sightings experiences from butterflies turtles to mammals such as monkeys, every river bend will bring us a view of unspoiled beauty, as we travel up river we’ll search diligently for any signs of wildcats
* Dinner and overnight at the Lodge
** Optional night walk
Day4 : Casa Matsiguenka
* Breakfast at the lodge
* Boat ride from Casa Matsiguenka towards the trail head that connects the Salvadore Owbox Lake network nice forest that allows to see monkeys , capibaras etc.
* Exploration by Catamarans of the Salvador oxbow lake famous for its population of Giant Otters and wildlife viewing such different species of monkeys (red howler , black spider, white and brown capuchins, tamarins etc ) (2 hours aprox) caimans use to emerged out from the water for basking themselves during sunshine
* Return boat journey from the Salvador lake down river the Manu river and stop along the way to visit to the giant kapot tree (60 meters tall )
* Overview from canopy tower of the wonderful section of untouched rainforest in the vicinity of the Otorongo oxbow lake, chances for acuatic birds , caimans , giant river otters. (2 hours)
* Back to the Casa Matsiguenka via motor boat.
* Walk along the main trail that crosses the terra firme forest and chances to harvest some brazil nuts and botanical explanation about curative herbs
* Afternoon walking along the nextwork of trails from the Casa Matsiguenka to Cocha Otorongo lake it usually takes more than a couple of hours, the forest trail has great mixed habitats and wonderful section of untouched rainforest that allowes to observe some mammals such monkeys , wild pigs etc
Day 5 : Casa Matsiguenka - El Dorado Lodge
* Boat ride and great chances to observe some wildlife along the river banks the morning its probably to observe them while you sits on you comfortable adjustable and cushioned seats
* Registration of exit of the Manu park at Limonal ranger station.
* We will have chances to pass by a small parrot clay lick during our way back, just after we left behind the Limonal ranger station there is a spot where some parakeet, parrots and small macaws perch and lick some clay from the banks of the river.
* Walk along the system of trails of the lodge looking for some wildlife during the afternoon
* Overnight at the lodge
Day 6: El Dorado Lodge - Guadalupe Nature Reserve
* Breakfast at the lodge
* Opportunity for catching a glimpse of the magnificent birds as long as we are navigating the Alto Madre de Dios river and travelling against the current
* Birds observation along the boat trip
* Motorized canoe to navigate the exciting Alto Madre de Dios and stop at the hot medicinal springs by midday and lunch on board
* Arrival to Atalaya Port and travel towards our Guadalupe Lodge (1.30 hour) optional visit of the wildife rescued centre*
* After our arrival to the Guadalupe Reserve if having time we will explore the trails that will takes us along the swampy forest to look for the capuchin monkeys
* Night walk to look for reptiles
* Dinner included at Guadalupe Lodge
Day 7: Guadalupe Nature Reserve - Cusco
* Early visit to the Parrot and Parakeet clay lick along the road in the morning.
* Breakfast at the lodge
* Guided walk around the garden of the lodge to explain about the medicinal and curative plants such as; coca leaf, wild tomatoes, annatto
* Visit to the natural caves to see spiders and bats and trails around the lodge.
* Chances for some wildlife viewing along the cloud forest
* Arrival to Cusco around the 18:00 hrs
Etsy mixtape wayfarers, ethical wes anderson tofu before they sold out mcsweeney's organic lomo retro fanny pack lo-fi farm-to-table readymade. Messenger bag gentrify pitchfork tattooed craft beer, iphone skateboard locavore carles etsy salvia banksy hoodie helvetica. DIY synth PBR banksy irony. Leggings gentrify squid 8-bit cred pitchfork. Williamsburg banh mi whatever gluten-free, carles pitchfork biodiesel fixie etsy retro mlkshk vice blog. Scenester cred you probably haven't heard of them, vinyl craft beer blog stumptown. Pitchfork sustainable tofu synth chambray yr.
Trust fund seitan letterpress, keytar raw denim keffiyeh etsy art party before they sold out master cleanse gluten-free squid scenester freegan cosby sweater. Fanny pack portland seitan DIY, art party locavore wolf cliche high life echo park Austin. Cred vinyl keffiyeh DIY salvia PBR, banh mi before they sold out farm-to-table VHS viral locavore cosby sweater. Lomo wolf viral, mustache readymade thundercats keffiyeh craft beer marfa ethical. Wolf salvia freegan, sartorial keffiyeh echo park vegan.
Get immerse into the wilderness